View all jobs in this category
Diversified Yacht Services is looking for a Marine Diesel Technician to join our team and work on the engines in our customers’ vessels at the newest, most advanced, state-of-the-art yacht repair service facility in today’s yachting world.
The Marine Diesel Technician must have the technical ability to complete all tasks, unsupervised, in the installation, maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, calibration, testing, fabrication, and operation of diverse electronic/mechanical equipment, powerplant, propulsion systems and in accordance with ABYC standards and specifications.
If you are selected for this position, you will perform quality maintenance and diagnostics on marine equipment including marine diesel engines, smaller engines (sailboats & generators), as well as main propulsion engines on larger yachts. You must be familiar with using computer-based discoveries diagnostics and reports, and you must be capable of repowering and rebuilding.
The Marine Diesel Technician must be able to effectively use OEM published technical information, both hard copy and online. You must possess all necessary tools to perform repairs and diagnostics, and you must be available to work overtime, weekends and holiday as required.
To be considered for the Marine Diesel Technician position, you must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of two years job related experience in the marine or truck repair industry
- Factory/technical training with certifications in Marine or Truck Diesel Repair preferred
- Experience working with Volvo, Yanmar, Westerbeke, Cummins, Cat, and/or other engines along with experience with IPS drives
- Knowledge of all aspects of today’s current marine or truck diesel power plants and auxiliary systems
- Permanent authorization to work in the USA. No visa sponsorships are available.
The ideal candidate must be able to safely operate various sizes and styles of vessels and be familiar with safe navigation of SWFL waterways to be able to move customer’s vessels and to perform systems checks as needed. Overall knowledge of mechanics for various types of vessels is a must for this position.
We need a self-starter with troubleshooting skills, a professional appearance, and the ability to follow directions in a professional manner. Team player attitude is a plus, along with effective verbal communication skills to work effectively with fellow employees, parts department, management, and occasionally communicating with the customer. Effective written communication skills are also needed to report results of investigations and discoveries and make recommendations to successfully complete repairs.
DYS requires a valid Florida Driver’s License with a clean driving record. An unsatisfactory driving record would contain infractions worse than minor traffic violations.
To perform the daily work of a Marine Diesel Technician, you must meet certain physical requirements:
- Ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel
- Perform prolonged standing
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Lift/push/pull a battery weighing 59 pounds without assistance on a regular basis
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders and ramps) to access vessels and vessel equipment
- Ability to work at heights above 12 feet, while working from a ladder, scaffolding and/or lifts to access vessels and vessel equipment
- Able to work on ladders, scaffolding, and on top of the vessels while hauled out
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (closed toe shoes, safety glasses, ear plugs, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety lines, floatation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions including heat, humidity and sun
- Able to work in an environment where you are occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals
- Ability to enter small spaces, openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills
- Able to work with in an environment where the noise level is usually loud
- Ability to fully extend the arm or arms while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down with tools and/or equipment
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/materials such as size, shape, temperature and texture
- Observe all safety signs, notices and understand safety procedures, and attend safety meetings
- Close-Toe shoes are required in the entire service facility when walking outside the administration offices, as well as safety glasses and PPE
Diversified Yacht Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment will receive consideration without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status or protected veteran status.;