Diversified Yacht Services, Inc. is in need of a skilled Boatyard Worker to fulfill various tasks in the boat yard, including, but not limited to, prepping bottoms of vessels for paint jobs and assisting with the cosmetic detail of the vessels for our customers along with other duties as described below.
A qualified Boatyard Worker and Mechanic Assist would be a conscientious self-starter and a dedicated worker knowledgeable in the Marine and Boating Industries. The person needs to be versatile and flexible to fulfill the various tasks in the boat yard including, but not limited to the following:
- Pressure washing, media blasting, scraping and sanding bottoms of vessels and running gear
- Remove props and complete services as needed.
- Assist mechanics as needed.
- Application of bottom and running gear paint
- Washing and drying customer’s vessels including polishing isinglass and waxing vessels by hand or with an electric polisher.
- Vessel cleaning including detailing and cleaning the interior of the vessels such as dusting, vacuuming, mopping, steam-cleaning carpets and upholstery, and cleaning heads, galley, and the engine room.
- Assisting with travel lift and forklift operations.
- Building maintenance as assigned.
Ability to follow directions in a professional manner and have a team player attitude is necessary, along with effective verbal communication skills to work effectively with fellow employees, parts department, management, and occasionally communicating with the customer. Effective written communication skills are also needed to report results of investigations and discoveries and make recommendations to successfully complete repairs.
To be considered for this position you must meet the following requirements:
- One year marina yard worker experience which must include at least one of the following skills: working with underwater/running gear, topside and/or bottom paint, fiberglass and/or gelcoat, varnishing, woodworking. Experience must include the use of hand and power tools.
- One year light mechanical experience.
- Knowledge of rigging and de-rigging of vessels and the proper allocation and inventory of parts.
- Capable of operating and securing a vessel is a plus.
The ideal candidate would have an overall knowledge of detailing products that are appropriate for use on boats and have the ability to identify needed parts and supplies and work with the parts department to obtain them.
DYS requires a valid Florida Driver’s License with a clean driving record. An unsatisfactory driving record would contain infractions worse than minor traffic violations.
To perform the daily work of a Yacht Painter, you must meet certain physical requirements:
- Ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel
- Perform prolonged standing
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Lift/push/pull 41.75 lbs on an occasional basis to move acetone
- Lift and hold overhead 14 lbs on a frequent basis to maneuver a buffer
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders and ramps) to access vessels and vessel equipment
- Ability to work at heights above 12 feet, while working from a ladder, scaffolding and/or man lifts to access vessels and vessel equipment
- Able to work on ladders, scaffolding, and on top of the vessels while hauled out
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment and ability to grip and maneuver an electric polisher
- Ability to reach above the head, and have repetitive motion in a circular, up and down, back and forth and side to side motion with upper extremities
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (closed toe shoes, safety glasses, ear plugs, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety lines, floatation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions including heat, humidity and sun
- Able to work in an environment where you are occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals
- Ability to enter small spaces, openings and work in confined spaces and hard to reach areas for prolonged periods of time
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills
- Able to work with in an environment where the noise level is usually loud
- Ability to fully extend the arm or arms while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down with tools and/or equipment
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/materials such as size, shape, temperature and texture
- Observe all safety signs, notices and understand safety procedures, and attend safety meetings
- Close-Toe shoes are required in the entire service facility when walking outside the administration offices, as well as safety glasses and PPE
- Candidate must be able to effectively communicate in English (written & verbal)
- Candidate must have permanent authorization to work in the USA for any employer
DYS, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
DisclaimerThe above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this classification. Diversified Yacht Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ;